Thursday, January 31, 2008

The "I Challenged Myself" Award

Today we had a special Thursday edition of our weekly writing club, since there is no school for children tomorrow. Today's writing task required them to write a sentence about something they have (using popcorn words "I" and "have"). As always they were asked to use at least 5 "real life" colors and include lots of detail in their drawings, and to make their pictures match their words.

You would be AMAZED at the writing your children are doing!

I was especially impressed by the work of C., a boy in the AM class. He wrote 2 sentences and used 7 realistic colors in his drawing. I held up his paper as an example to the rest of the class and praised him for challenging himself to do even more that what I asked for. I showed his work to the PM children as well. Many children were inspired to challenge themselves to do more than they were asked to do.

In honor of the children's extraordinary efforts I created a new (and now very popular) award - the I CHALLENGED MYSELF award. This has been added to our collection of highly coveted awards, along side the recently added "Kiss Your Brain" award. Please be on the lookout for these awards and give plenty of praise when your child brings one home!

2 comments:

Tricia Rzepkowski said...

This is an awesome award! Mason was not off the bus 2 minutes, before I was told all about his new award. Thank you for all of your hard work Mrs. Sero!

JoAnna said...

Mason is really excited to bring this writing project home, too. We "published" all of them in a class book, and he asked me "At the end of school will we get to take home our pages from all of these class books?" I told him that we would, and he replied "Good! It HAS to be worth it!" (because he worked SO HARD!!) :-)