Friday, December 7, 2007

The Story that Inspired the Blog

The weekly newsletters and slide shows on our class webpage give you some idea of what is happening in our classroom, but there are always cute and funny stories that don't get shared with families...brief exchanges that I may forget if I don't write them down, or things that may seem like "no big deal" that are actually amazing teachable moments. I hope to use this blog to share some of these sweet stories with you, the families of the Superstar Kindergartners I am privileged to spend my days with.

So here's the first story!

Today we read our third version of the Gingerbread Man story, and afterwards we were comparing and contrasting the different versions. M raised her hand and said that all of the stories had a cow, but one was "a chocolate cow" and the other two were "black and white cows that give regular milk." I said to the class, "Is that how you make chocolate milk? You milk a brown cow and she gives you chocolate milk?" EVERYONE said "yes!" Not a single child disagreed with this delightful idea! :-) So I said, "Oh! I thought you got some white milk and added Hershey's syrup to it!" And S replied, "That's only when you make it HOMEMADE!"

This is why I love teaching kindergarten!

4 comments:

Gina said...

Great idea JoAnna!!!
Gina Wise

Sarra Osborn said...

Too funny! My grandmother grew up on a farm and always told us that brown cows gave us chocolate milk! I still tell my kids that! And dont forget where brown eggs come from too!

Kristina Dinino said...

That's adorable. I'm glad you thought of this, great idea!
Thanks,
Kristina Dinino

Jerri said...

I love all of these stories! Keep 'em coming! :)